Posted by: porschebahn | May 1, 2010

Gulf Oil LeMans Tribute Carrera Project – Part 12

Wally – Here is another update on the project. I have finally gotten settled in the new hobby shop and except for constructing one more large shelf I am satisfied with the work space. No more body work or painting as that will be sent out to shops that are set up for the process. It is far too dirty to do that kind of work in a shop where you are trying to stay clean.

 The motor is in and the wire harness is just about done. All that is left with the wire harness is to position the proper wire clamps to secure the different parts of the wire harness to the body. The factory metal tabs were cut off and ground smooth as they were sharp and would cut not only us as we worked but also posed a threat to the wire harness over the long run. Insulated wire clamps will provide a better solution for securing the harness throughout the car.

 The motor slid in without difficulty and the shifting rod and shifter are in place and functioning nicely. A short shift kit is set up and should make the car much more pleasant to drive. The gauges are in and the dash pad and other padding is in place. Naturally the dash pad which was the original cracked as we bent it to slide it into place. They get very brittle with age and even though we had heated it a bit it cracked along lines that were already beginning to let go. I will put a cap or some other covering on it once we get the glass installed.

 I am going to use the original wheels and this will create a bit of humor as I put together a Rube Goldberg wheel polishing jury rig to make things easier. As I studied the best way to polish the aluminum portions of the cookie cutter wheels I realized that it was going to take an extreme amount of rubbing, sanding and buffing to get the old corrosion and pitting off of the wheels. The various articles advised to begin with wet sanding 400 grit and gradually move to a final sanding with 2000 grit then polishing media as the final process. I tried doing it by hand and quickly realized that I was looking at a long arduous process – so my generally lazy tendency took over and I set about to rig up a self polishing device that you see in the last photo. I took a low-speed electric motor, cut an old Ford truck serpentine belt to fit the inner wheel diameter which I mounted back on the car minus the tire. The rig worked like a charm as now all I had to do was activate the motor to spin the wheel and carefully apply the various wet sanding to the alloy wheels. It is quite efficient as long as you keep your fingers clear of the spinning spokes and just be patient and let the electric motor do the work.

 I have a 1974 RSR front bumper assembly coming and am busy looking for a yellow bird or similar small flare body rear bumper for the machine. I have decided to respray the car and redo the clear coat. The gulf orange paint (paint code 019) will go on the lower bumpers and along the rocker area and will include the center spokes of the cookie cutters.

 If all goes well the next episode be with the motor running and the car on the ground under its own power.

 More Later  – Eric

To see the previous posts on this project visit Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6 , Part 7, Part 8,  Part 9,  Part 10 & Part 11


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: